Kozhikode: Jewellery traders in Kerala’s Kozhikode staged a protest on Saturday and kept their shops closed for half a day over the failure to arrest the accused in an alleged gold fraud involving jewellery worth around ₹1.50 crore. The protest, led by the Kammath Lane Gold and Silver Merchants’ Association, came amid allegations that there had been no significant breakthrough in the investigation even 26 days after the incident. The traders demanded that the case be handed over to a senior police officer or a Special Investigation Team (SIT).
The incident took place on July 27. According to the traders, Safarnas, who was associated with the jewellery business, collected around 948 grams of gold from more than 10 jewellery shops in the Kammath Lane area. The gold was valued at approximately ₹1.50 crore. The traders alleged that the accused took the jewellery on the pretext of showing it to customers. However, when the gold was not returned within the agreed period, the shop owners became suspicious.
Jewellery traders in Kammath Lane routinely rely on a system of mutual assistance in which one shop obtains jewellery from another when a particular design requested by a customer is not available. The traders alleged that the accused exploited this established business practice and the trust between merchants to collect gold from different shops.
When the jewellery was not returned within the agreed time, some traders went to the accused’s shop and found that he was missing. They subsequently realised that he had allegedly fled with the jewellery. A complaint was then filed at the Town police station, following which an FIR was registered. Police have recorded statements from 11 traders as part of the investigation.
During Saturday’s protest, traders said the continued absence of an arrest despite the substantial financial loss was a matter of serious concern. They alleged that the delay could affect the evidence connected with the case. The traders also said that the accused remaining at large had increased concerns among jewellery businesses in the area.
A trader participating in the protest claimed that the accused had attempted to obtain anticipatory bail. According to the traders, he did not receive relief in his first attempt, but police have still not been able to trace him. They said any further delay in securing his arrest could make the recovery of the allegedly missing gold more difficult and could affect the investigation.
Representatives of the Kammath Lane Gold and Silver Merchants’ Association demanded that efforts to trace the accused be intensified. They called for the investigation to be monitored by a senior police officer or transferred to an SIT so that the case could be pursued in a time-bound manner. The traders also warned that they could intensify their protest if there was no significant progress.
The district-level Gold and Silver Merchants’ Association also extended support to the protest. Its representatives criticised the slow pace of the investigation and said the continued absence of clear information about the accused was causing concern among traders. They urged the police to treat the case as a priority and intensify efforts to recover the allegedly missing gold.
Police sources, however, said that a four-member special team had already been formed to investigate the case. According to the sources, the investigation was affected after some members of the team were unexpectedly transferred. Police said the issue would be resolved soon and efforts to trace the accused were continuing.
The investigation remains underway. The traders are seeking the early arrest of the accused, recovery of the allegedly missing 948 grams of gold and supervision of the investigation at a senior level. Further action in the case will depend on the findings of the investigation and the evidence collected by the police.