Mumbai: A 74-year-old woman from Mumbai was allegedly duped of ₹50.8 lakh by a cyber fraudster who posed as a New Zealand-based gynaecologist working on a United Nations humanitarian mission in Yemen and sought repeated financial help for his daughter’s medical treatment.
An FIR has been registered at the south cyber police station. According to investigators, the Cuffe Parade resident transferred the amount through 27 separate transactions to multiple bank accounts shared by the accused over WhatsApp.
Certified Cyber Crime Investigator Course Launched by Centre for Police Technology
The complainant told police that she received a Facebook friend request from a profile showing a man with a young girl. Although she was initially cautious, she accepted the request after finding nothing suspicious. The accused soon contacted her on WhatsApp and introduced himself as a New Zealand national and a doctor.
During their conversations, the man claimed that his wife and parents had died and that he was raising his five-year-old daughter alone. He also stated that his mother was South Indian and that he had been deployed to war-torn Yemen on a United Nations contract, where he was performing emergency caesarean procedures.
After gaining the victim’s trust, the accused informed her that his daughter had been hospitalised after consuming contaminated birthday cake and that several children had fallen ill. He claimed he was unable to access his bank accounts while stationed in Yemen and urgently needed money for her treatment.
The woman initially transferred ₹30,000 on humanitarian grounds. The accused then continued to send messages stating that the child’s condition had worsened and that hospital expenses were rising. The victim remained in contact through WhatsApp calls and chats, inquiring about the girl’s health, while the accused assured her that he would travel to India and return the money.
Over time, she transferred a total of ₹50.8 lakh in instalments. On February 9, the accused again contacted her, claiming he had contracted typhoid and required additional funds for his own treatment. When she discussed the matter with her son, he suspected fraud and advised her to stop further payments.
Subsequent attempts to reach the accused failed as his phone was switched off, prompting the woman to approach the police and file a complaint.
Preliminary investigation indicates that the accused used multiple bank accounts to receive the funds, suggesting the involvement of a larger organised cyber fraud network. Police are analysing the bank transaction trail, mobile numbers and digital evidence to identify the operatives and trace the money flow.
Cybercrime experts said emotional manipulation through fabricated personal stories and medical emergencies has become a common tactic, particularly targeting senior citizens who are more likely to offer financial help on humanitarian grounds.
Police have urged the public not to transfer money to individuals met on social media without proper verification, especially in cases involving medical emergencies. Citizens have been advised to verify identities independently and avoid sharing financial details with unknown persons.
Any suspected cyber fraud should be reported immediately to the national cybercrime helpline 1930 or the nearest cyber police station to prevent further losses.
