Cyberattacks Hit Australia’s Largest Pension Funds Rs 2.72 Crore Stolen

Titiksha Srivastav
By Titiksha Srivastav - Assistant Editor
5 Min Read

In one of the most serious cyber incidents to hit Australia’s financial sector, hackers have breached more than 20,000 superannuation accounts across several of the country’s largest pension funds. The coordinated attacks targeted login systems and exploited stolen passwords, resulting in both financial loss and exposure of sensitive personal information.

AustralianSuper, the country’s largest retirement fund managing A$365 billion for 3.5 million members, confirmed that hackers used compromised credentials to access up to 600 member accounts.

According to a source familiar with the matter, four members had a total of A$500,000 (approximately Rs 2.72 crore) siphoned off and transferred to unauthorised accounts.

While the fund acted swiftly to lock the compromised accounts and notify affected members, many users reported difficulties accessing their accounts over the following days due to heavy traffic and intermittent outages.

ALSO READ: Now Open: Pan-India Registration for Fraud Investigators!

Some saw their balances temporarily show as zero, though AustralianSuper assured members that these were display issues and that their funds remained secure.

 

The breach wasn’t limited to AustralianSuper. Rest Super, which manages A$93 billion in assets for two million Australians, reported that around 20,000 member accounts had been impacted. The fund shut down its online member portal over the weekend of March 29–30 after detecting suspicious activity.

Rest CEO Vicki Doyle confirmed that while no funds had been stolen, limited personal data—including names, email addresses, and member numbers—had been accessed. In fewer than 20 cases, more detailed information such as addresses, balances, and beneficiary details may have been exposed. Doyle said the fund’s quick response helped contain the impact, but acknowledged the anxiety this has caused members.

 

Other major funds including the Australian Retirement Trust (ART), Hostplus, and Insignia Financial also confirmed they had been targeted. ART, which manages A$300 billion for 2.4 million members, detected unusual login activity on several hundred accounts.

While no money was stolen and no data was changed, the fund proactively locked affected accounts and continues to investigate. Hostplus, with A$115 billion under management and 1.8 million members, confirmed it was hit by an attack but said there were no reported member losses. Insignia Financial, which oversees MLC and IOOF, said around 100 accounts on its Expand platform had experienced suspicious activity, although no financial damage was detected.

 

The attacks are believed to have been carried out using a technique called credential stuffing, where hackers reuse passwords leaked from unrelated breaches to break into accounts on other platforms. Authorities say this highlights a widespread problem: many users continue to rely on weak or reused passwords, leaving even well-protected systems vulnerable.

 

Michelle McGuinness, Australia’s National Cyber Security Coordinator, confirmed that cybercriminals were behind the attacks and said a whole-of-government response was now underway. She is working closely with regulators, law enforcement, and industry leaders to coordinate investigations and strengthen defences.

 

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese addressed the situation on Friday, describing the incident as part of a growing pattern of cyber threats facing the country. “There is a cyberattack in Australia about every six minutes,” he said. “We are considering what has occurred and will respond in time. The agencies are working hard on this.” He also pointed to increased funding for the Australian Signals Directorate as part of the government’s broader effort to improve national cybersecurity.

Empanelment for Speakers, Trainers, and Cyber Security Experts Opens at Future Crime Research Foundation

The Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA), the peak industry body, acknowledged that several funds had been affected and said all impacted members were being contacted directly. ASFA reassured the public that funds and their service providers already maintain strict cyber protections, but added that more work needs to be done to stay ahead of evolving threats.

As investigations continue, superannuation funds are urging members to take immediate steps to secure their accounts. This includes updating passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, and verifying account details. While most members were not financially impacted, the breaches have shaken public trust in the safety of retirement savings and highlighted the need for stronger digital habits.

For millions of Australians, these events have raised an urgent question: in a digital world where cyberattacks are becoming more frequent and sophisticated, how secure are our most important financial assets?

Stay Connected