Economic Offences Wing Takes Charge of Bhatt Cheating Allegations

Supreme Court Grants Bail to Vikram Bhatt, Wife in ₹30 Crore Fraud Case

The420.in Staff
4 Min Read

The Supreme Court has granted regular bail to filmmaker Vikram Bhatt and his wife Shwetambari Bhatt in connection with an alleged ₹30 crore fraud case registered in Rajasthan, observing that the matter primarily arises from a commercial transaction between the parties. The apex court also set aside the Rajasthan High Court’s earlier order rejecting their bail pleas and directed both sides to pursue mediation for an amicable settlement.

A Bench headed by the Chief Justice of India, along with Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul M. Pancholi, said the relief was being granted with the expectation that the appellants would make genuine efforts to resolve the payment dispute. The court asked the parties to appear before the Supreme Court Mediation Centre to explore a negotiated resolution.

The couple had been arrested from their Mumbai residence on December 7 last year following a complaint filed by a Udaipur-based doctor, who alleged that he had been cheated of crores on the promise of producing a film. After their arrest, they were taken to Rajasthan, where the FIR had been registered.

Certified Cyber Crime Investigator Course Launched by Centre for Police Technology

Earlier, the Rajasthan High Court had declined bail to Vikram Bhatt, his wife and another accused, noting that the investigation was still at a preliminary stage and their release at that point would be inappropriate. The Supreme Court, however, took a different view, emphasising the commercial nature of the transaction and the scope for settlement through mediation.

The case stems from an FIR registered in Udaipur in November against eight individuals, including Vikram Bhatt, Shwetambari Bhatt and others. The complainant, Dr Ajay Murdia, owner of Indira IVF Hospital, alleged that he was lured into investing in a film project with assurances of substantial returns. According to the complaint, he had approached an intermediary to produce a biopic on his late wife and was later introduced to the filmmaker at a Mumbai studio.

It was claimed that an investment of about ₹7 crore would lead to the production of four films with projected returns of ₹100–₹200 crore. The complainant alleged that funds were transferred accordingly and that the filmmaker had said his wife and daughter were associated with the project through a firm registered in Shwetambari Bhatt’s name.

Investigators in Rajasthan are currently handling the probe. The Supreme Court clarified that the grant of bail does not affect the merits of the case and that the investigation may continue in accordance with law.

Last week, the court had already granted interim bail to Shwetambari Bhatt while issuing notice on the special leave petition challenging the High Court’s refusal. With regular bail now granted to both, the focus is expected to shift to mediation proceedings and the ongoing investigation.

The development marks a significant relief for the couple, even as the criminal case and allegations of financial impropriety remain under scrutiny.

About the author – Rehan Khan is a law student and legal journalist with a keen interest in cybercrime, digital fraud, and emerging technology laws. He writes on the intersection of law, cybersecurity, and online safety, focusing on developments that impact individuals and institutions in India.

Stay Connected