Mumbai: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has taken a strict stand against the production of Dhurandhar: The Revenge, recommending the blacklisting of director Aditya Dhar’s production house, B62 Studios, for alleged repeated violations of safety norms during a shoot in South Mumbai. The civic body has also proposed a penalty of ₹1 lakh and the forfeiture of a previously submitted ₹25,000 security deposit.
According to BMC officials, the shoot conducted in the A Ward area during January and February was granted permission with clear conditions, including a complete ban on the use of firecrackers or any flammable materials. However, violations were detected on February 7 and 8, following which the security deposit was seized and the production house was issued a warning.
Permission Granted — With Strict Conditions
Subsequently, a revised application was submitted in the name of Komal Pokhariyal for a late-night shoot scheduled between February 13 and 14. The applicant had assured authorities that no flammable material would be used and that all necessary permissions for temporary structures in the heritage precinct had been obtained.
Despite these assurances, a complaint was received around 12:45 am on February 14 alleging the use of burning torches during filming. Police reached the spot and seized five lit torches, which officials said constituted a clear breach of civic and police safety guidelines.
Certified Cyber Crime Investigator Course Launched by Centre for Police Technology
Torch Use Triggers Second Violation
The inquiry also found that filming was conducted on the terrace of a building without prior approval and that two generator vans were operated without authorisation. Based on these violations, the BMC has recommended that B62 Studios, along with Komal Pokhariyal and Nasir Khan, be barred from applying for future filming permissions through the Maharashtra Film, Stage and Cultural Development Corporation Limited portal.
If the recommendation is implemented, the concerned applicants will be unable to seek online shooting permissions in Mumbai. The civic body said formal notices will be issued and copies will be shared with the Maharashtra Film Cell and relevant municipal departments.
Additional Compliance Breaches Flagged
The controversy comes ahead of the scheduled March 19 release of Dhurandhar: The Revenge, the sequel to the commercially successful Dhurandhar. Industry sources said filming in heritage zones already involves stringent compliance requirements, and repeated violations could lead to significant legal and administrative hurdles for production houses.
The BMC is also considering tightening the overall shooting permission process in the city. In recent years, multiple complaints related to traffic disruption, noise, and safety breaches during film shoots have been reported. Officials believe strict enforcement will send a strong message to production companies to adhere to established norms.
The civic body reiterated that public safety cannot be compromised and that all filming activities must strictly follow approved guidelines and conditions.
